Dr. Faiz Makdisi has 40 years of applied research and professional practice experience in geotechnical and foundation/earthquake engineering for commercial, industrial, and critical structures. For the past 25 years, he has focused on geotechnical studies and safety evaluations of earth and rockfill dams, embankments, and levees.
His work includes feasibility evaluations and preliminary design studies; field investigation design and planning; borrow area material studies; in-situ and laboratory testing; and evaluation and interpretation of static and dynamic material properties of dams and their foundations. Many of his studies have been under the jurisdiction of the California Division of Safety of Dams and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Academy of Geo-Professionals – Diplomate (AGP)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Association of State Dam Safety Officials (ASDSO)
- Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Institution of Civil Engineers (UK)
- International Society for Soil Mechanics & Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
- Seismological Society of America (SSA)
- United States Society on Dams (USSD)
- USSD Committee on Earthquakes
- USSD Committee on Levees