Based in our Oakland, Roseville, or San Luis Obispo office, the Staff Engineer earns and maintains client satisfaction by performing a variety of engineering analyses with mentoring from of our senior staff. Depending on discipline, this entry-level role may perform layout and design of construction drawings, including structure layout, structural detailing; and site grading plans; evaluation and design of rockfall or landslide stabilization systems; performing hydraulic and hydrology calculations; and performing geotechnical investigation and analysis, including liquefaction assessments, slope stability and seepage analyses, and foundation designs. Successful candidates also thrive in performing field investigations, construction observation, and supporting our multidiscipline engineering design practice. The role includes a mix of office and field work. By performing highly technical engineering calculations, and plan and report preparation, the Staff Engineer embodies our client-focused philosophy and our commitment to delivering high quality work. This position may be based out of any of our offices.
- Perform planning, layout, design, and construction observation services for civil and geostructural projects
- Perform engineering tasks under direct supervision, including: engineering analyses, civil/structural detailing, and project coordination
- Interpret and develop take-offs from engineering plans and reports
- Assist with the preparation of plans, technical and contract specifications, and estimates (PS&E) documents
- Prepare design proposals, reports, and letters
- Review construction shop drawings and prepare responses to contractor Requests for Information (RFIs)
- Support production and coordination of CADD design drawings
- Coordinate with other disciplines and functions throughout design
- Occasionally assigned to work at a construction site for an extended period
- Participate in project meetings and present specific aspects of engineering assignments
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Required Education and Experience
- 0 to 3 years of direct work experience within the civil engineering discipline (civil, geotechnical, structural, water, transportation, etc.)
- BS degree in civil engineering from an ABET-accredited institution
Preferred Education and Experience
- EIT license
Required Skills & Abilities
- Ability to thrive on a diverse and dynamic multidiscipline engineering team and learn from highly experienced mentors
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, theories and practices as applied to civil engineering, foundation systems, earth retaining systems
- Ability to problem solve
- Strong, professional oral and written communication skills
- Valid California driver’s license
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Proficient with standard office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Proficient in AutoCAD; familiarity with Autodesk Civil3D or Bentley Microstation a plus.
This position requires travel to project work sites, SAGE offices and client offices.
This position is based in an office setting, but requires periodic field work, which involves exposure to inclement weather such as heat, cold, wind, and rain.
Frequent standing, sitting, and walking, with occasional stooping, kneeling, crawling, and lifting up to 35 lbs.