SAGE Engineers, Inc. is searching for talented individuals interested in joining a growing, dynamic consulting firm. Based in our Roseville or San Luis Obispo, CA office, the ideal candidate has a strong blend of technical and interpersonal skills. This position involves dam safety engineering, assessment, and design; dam rehabilitation; instrumentation evaluation, reporting, and modernization; dam safety emergency action planning; and related geotechnical engineering activities. Responsibilities of the position include monitoring and evaluating the integrity and safety of existing dams and appurtenant structures; conducting site inspections and assessments of existing dam facilities; preparation of annual dam safety inspection and surveillance reports; organizing, reviewing, and analyzing dam safety surveillance and instrumentation data; planning, managing, and guiding field investigation programs, exploratory work, and laboratory testing; leading evaluations of dam safety and stability, including determination of ground motion and seismic stability analyses; and geotechnical engineering activities related to the maintenance, design, and construction of water related facilities. This position also includes general geotechnical engineering on hydropower facilities including penstocks, diversion dams, pipelines, headworks, gate structures, canals, flumes and siphons. Geotechnical analysis for remediation of landslides and geologic hazards is also required.
- Plans and determines scope, resources, schedule, and budget requirements for major and/or complex projects3
- Independently designs and/or leads the charge to complete major projects
- Manages and leads major or multiple large projects with multi-disciplinary teams and subcontractors and/or subconsultants
- Independently applies extensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to evaluate, select, and apply techniques, procedures, and analyses
- Performs construction support services, including assisting client with bid activities, performing construction observation, interacting and coordinating with contractors/inspectors/agencies, managing field changes, and closing out projects
- Exercises a high level of professional and ethical judgment
- Reviews completed project documents for conformity and quality assurance
- Manages one or more clients, ensuring services meet or exceed client expectations and standards
- Actively performs business development activities to promote the SAGE Engineers brand and technical expertise, and to develop new clients and project assignments
- May perform condition assessment of existing structures and features
- Observes/manages construction activities
- Develops new techniques and/or improved processes
- Leads project meetings and presents specific aspects of engineering assignments
- Represents the organization in communications and conferences pertaining to broad aspects of engineering assignments
- Assigns tasks to and directs junior consultants and technicians
- Supervises one or more technical staff
- Trains staff on use of specialty software or proprietary applications
- Assists senior management in implementing business programs, and may manage organizational programs under the direction of senior management
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET-accredited college or university
- 15 or more years of increasing responsibility and experience in geotechnical engineering with a focus in dams and dam safety.
- Experience in project management on multi-disciplinary teams, and business and client development
- Professional Engineering license in California, or a state that provides comity with California.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master of Science degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering
- Experience managing staff
- California Geotechnical Engineer licensure
General knowledge of the following specialties is desirable:
- Reinforced concrete and structural steel design
- Site layout and grading
- Hydrology, site drainage, and culvert design
- Hydraulics and hydraulic modelling
Required Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, theories and practices as applied to dams, hydraulic structures, gates, valves, penstocks, dams, check structures, flumes, canals, culverts, etc.
- Proficient in the review and preparation of Reports, plans, specifications, and estimates (PS&E)
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MS Office, and similar computer programs.
- Knowledge of specialized computer analysis programs (e.g., Flac, GeoStudio, Mathcad, etc.)
This position typically requires occasional travel between our offices and up to 5% travel to project sites, including overnight stays.
This position is based in an office environment. Field work includes exposure to heat, cold, wind, and rain.
Frequent standing, sitting, and walking. Occasional kneeling, climbing, stooping, crawling, reaching, and lifting up to 25 lbs.